Sunday 7 January 2007

"My" Canaletto


And here's my version of a Canaletto painting. I wanted something long to fit into this panel to take the bareness off the wall and form a point of interest. I chose this particular well known version of the bridge as a bridge symbolised the Jekyll and Hyde story (I cannot imagine any of the audience working this out but you and I know the reason!). This acrylic painting took me about an hour. The nearest audience will be about 40 feet away so no need to do any detail. Once finished I did a silly thing. I have a varnish which supposedly gives a crackle finish, so I covered the painting with a thin layer of that. Unfortunately it didn't work and just left a glossy surface. So glossy that the lights are reflected in it (hence the photo taken at an angle) This may also be a problem in the theatre so I might have to wash it off. The varnish is water soluble so no trouble to do that.

No comments: